By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.
Reading time :
3 minutes

Changes to making a complaint about primary care services

Published on
July 3, 2023
Changes to making a complaint about primary care services

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service if you are unhappy with the care that you or a loved one have received. As of the 1 July 2023 there have been some changes to making a complaint about primary care services in Derbyshire.

What are primary care services? 

Primary care services are GPs, dentists, opticians and pharmacy services.

What's changing? 

From 1 July 2023 the way people make a complaint about primary care services to the commissioner is changing.

There are two ways to make a complaint about healthcare services.

You can choose to complain to either:  

  • the healthcare provider - this is the organisation where you received the NHS service, for example a GP surgery or dental surgery
  • the commissioner of the service - this is the organisation that paid for the service or care you received.

After 1 July 2023 if you want to make a complaint about primary care services to the commissioner you will now contact Derby and Derbyshire integrated care board (ICB) instead of NHS England. If you want to make a complaint directly to the healthcare provider of the primary care service, you still can – that does not change as of 1 July 2023.

How do I contact the Derbyshire Integrated Care Board? 

You can do this by: 


By post: Chief Executive Officer, NHS Derby and Derbyshire Integrated Care Board, 1st Floor North, Cardinal Square, 10 Nottingham Road, Derby DE1 3QT

By completing the complaints form here.

What if I made a complaint before 1 July to NHS England? 

If you made a complaint to NHS England before 1 July you will receive a letter from stating that the NHS will continue to look into your complaint with the name of the case handler.

For any new complaints sent to NHS England by mistake from 1 July, they'll now be sent to the ICB to handle. You will receive a letter from NHS England advising that your complaint has been passed to the ICB and the name of the person dealing with your complaint.

In need of some further advice or information? 

Our team are able to help you find the support you need. We can help you to find reliable and trustworthy information that you can trust. Contact us today for a chat, or take a look at the complaints section of our website here.

Related posts

Image text reads: 'Share your care'.
Have you or someone you care about had involvement with social care services recently? We want to hear your feedback. By sharing your thoughts, you become a part of a movement that works to improve social care in our community.
Child sat just having had an injection. Health professional is putting a plaster on their arm.
Throughout the West Midlands there has been an increase in measles cases. Most of these cases are young children who have not had their measles mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination. As the West Midlands is close to Derbyshire, the UK Health Security Agency is urging people who have not already done so, to get their MMR vaccine as soon as possible to avoid measles spreading.
Young girl having her teeth examined at a dentist.
Continuing our work looking into dentistry in Derbyshire, take a look at our November update and how this is changing.